Senior Account Manager - Digital Client Services
We are an entrepreneurial integrated communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in twenty years. We have entered the world’s top 30 agencies and have ambition to break the top ten by 2020. We have over 25 offices, 600 employees and revenues of $65m and rising. Our success is due to a combination of organic growth and strategic acquisitions and is reflected in being named PRCA’s International Agency of the Year for 2015.
Central to our growth has been our policy of reinvestment, with the majority of profits returning to the company to propel development, including our Rise training Academy. We are the fourth fastest growing agency in the global top 50. What makes us different is that, not only are we independent, but we are 100% employee-owned.
As we rapidly scale the business, our challenge is not to lose any of our character. We must establish a clear and visible brand in the marketplace. We must be seen as entrepreneurial, agile, creative, credible and professional. We believe that we are on the cusp of something truly remarkable in our industry.
Purpose of the role
The Senior Account Manager is a senior delivery and campaign client-facing role providing direction to junior level team members in LEWIS Purestone. The Senior Account Manager (SAM) provides proactive input to grow key accounts, follows through on deliverables to a high standard and meets client expectations. The SAM demonstrates ownership and provides solutions grounded in intelligence, keeping the team and clients up to date regularly with all activity.
Key responsibilities and tasks
- Full ownership of the delivery of campaigns, services and products through traditional and emerging digital communication channels
- Has a thorough understanding of the client’s business and is adept at altering their approach to effectively handle and nurture key relationships on an ongoing basis
- Ensures all verbally agreed client actions (taken outside of meetings) are followed up in writing, in a detailed and timely fashion
- Approaches and manages workload in an efficient manner such that it optimises value to both client and agency and meets expectations and deadlines agreed
- Constructively challenges client requests and manages priorities/demands in line with agency processes
- Effectively communicates timings with clients in consideration with the agency’s resource availability, providing updated timing plans to ensure that the client’s expectations are managed at each milestone. Is able to provide robust justification if challenged
- Proactive in putting forward new ideas and finding new solutions to the client’s business needs, against the context of their business, competitors and general digital trends
- Consults with senior team members when required to ensure that the needs of the account and the client are aligning with internal goals and teams, including finance and resource decisions
- Looks for and accepts insight and direction from senior members of the team and acts in accordance with their requests and recommendations
- Presents with confidence to different levels of client stakeholders, ensuring that the content is relevant to their needs, is well considered and in line with the overall strategy of the account
- Is adept at interrogating ambiguous client requirements/briefs to identify the problems and opportunities, and to provide informed and actionable plans for their resolution and capture
- Translates client requirements into inspiring project/creative briefs that convey the critical elements expected, whilst following internal processes to deliver
- Demonstrates excellence in delivery; achieves KPIs, deadlines and service agreements (as applicable) for tactical engagements
- Ensures effective budget and resource management, job profitability and change request management to ensure positive effect on the business performance.
- Builds strong relationships with the internal project manager, communicating regularly and ensuring a seamless experience for the client during projects, and transition into support
- Assists with the new business process in collaboration with the senior management team, and plays a supporting role in selling LEWIS Purestone credentials throughout the pitch/tender process
- Understands client portfolio objectivesboth from an external client point of view and agency point of view, and commits to achieving key account development plans
- Works closely with the client and senior client service team members to regularly review account performance, and to set objectives for continual improvement
- Is hands on and knowledgeable with Content Management Systems. This includes Sitefinity, Sitecore, Umbraco and WordPress
- Demonstrates value to the client in how to best utilise the CMS for their content needs, providing training and support where required, including troubleshooting via CMS
- Effectively and efficiently running and/or overseeing service desks for website maintenance, whilst balancing the requirement for 1-to-1 communication with the client
- Front-line point of contact for support related queries, ensuring they are appropriately handled and trafficked through the agency
- Shapes out support agreements with clients and commercial terms
- Prepares CMS training programmes through their understanding of the CMS, prepare documentation, and run training workshops and walk-throughs with confidence
- Ensures that the client is maximising the features and functionality of their CMS, imparting best practice knowledge proactively
- Recognises opportunity in existing accounts and works with senior team members to propose compelling ideas to contribute towards new revenue streams
- Takes an active interest in all things digital: sharing new innovations or successful digital campaigns; how developers can resolve issues, understanding the front end / back end disciplines involved, is passionate about how solutions are arrived at and recognises how solutions developed in R&D are sellable to clients
- Understanding of deployment processes, adherence to cycles and production of release notes in line with the agency’s and/or client’s process
- Demonstrates rigour in how solutions are tested across browsers and devices, prior to release to the client
- Ensures that the agency’s sign-off process for work leaving the agency is adhered too
- Analytical in nature, ensuring suggestions are insight-driven. Or uses data to identify new opportunities, leverage insights to provide optimisation
- Acts as a liaison to, and conduit between, cross-functional teams and external stakeholders – including creative, development and project management resources – to ensure client satisfaction, retention, quality of service, and achievement of KPIs for the work tasked to deliver
- Demonstrates logical thinking in terms of taking a client requirement and understanding how that would work from a content management point of view, dependencies and requirements
- Stays up to date on best practices, techniques and current trends on digital marketing and measurement
- Continually shares knowledge with team members to enhance the collective knowledge
Team working and development
- Upwardly managing team members to ensure that they are aware of critical account challenges and milestones
- Effectively delegates work to junior members of the team, ensuring they are appropriately briefed and supported, while maintaining overall accountability
- Provides the team with feedback and support in account handling skills, communications, steering next steps, priority management and act as a sign off point for estimates and documentation up to a certain value.
- Acting as a motivated team member, being hands-on at all time and offering support to all members of the team.
- Acts professionally in the work environment, respecting other team members (junior and senior), taking on board feedback and recommendations, proactively taking ownership of tasks and is receptive to new ideas
- Acts as a team player. This includes attending internal feedback sessions, weekly briefings and contributing to group discussions
- Listens attentively in meetings, plays a proactive role in setting meeting agendas and kick offs, taking accurate notes, and making valuable and relevant contributions to the conversation at appropriate moments.
- To lead by example, from the way you conduct yourself as a member of the client services team, to the quality of the work you produce
- Understands the objectives of the wider agency business and overall direction, demonstrating how day to day working contributes towards achieving those goals
- Works closely with the Account Director and Client Services Director, regularly informing them on the status of business (across all accounts), including escalation as needed
- Actively seeks opinion and input from the wider team prior to making decisions that will affect a client relationship, project or commercials
Reporting and analysis
- Assumes full responsibility for the creation of contact reports that accurately document key actions, owners and deadlines. Ensures that these are circulated amongst the relevant Client and Agency stakeholders within 24 hours of the meeting
- Attends weekly team finance sessions, ensuring that all project revenues are accurately logged in the system. Provides analysis and reporting to justify forecast figures and understands the impact of inaccurate reporting.
- Understands accruals and deferrals, and stays on top of invoicing
- Constructs and recommends revenue forecasts (billing plans) and invoicing schedules, demonstrating commercial acumen and consideration of the agency’s targets
- Recognises and flags early on risk in projects around commercial matters. E.g. Resource required to complete deliverables surpasses the available budge. And suggests appropriate course of action for approval.
- Ensures that all activity and results are reported back to the client, providing insight and analysis across all aspects of the account
- Communicates account performance internally with the Account Director (account reviews) and provides recommendations around how the account is handled and insight on the quality of relationship, backed up by measurable analytics where appropriate.
- Maintains a daily log of tasks/to-do list with time attributed which is visible to the wider team.
- Provides detailed reports to the Account Director or Client Services Director on request.
- Takes a proactive role in promoting the LEWIS brand, its work, identity and values
- Supports the HR / talent team by promoting both internal and external opportunities at LEWIS across social media and via the referral scheme
- Contributes and supports the continuous improvement of systems, practices and policies
- Highly commercial with strong client relationship building skills gained in a digital agency environment
- A track record of supporting web / digital solutions
- Can demonstrate commercial acumen through forecasting, budget management and reporting, and exemplify previous account retained and grown.
- Adopts a pragmatic approach, that balances assertiveness and flexibility
- A clear and articulate communicator – able to simplify the complex and the complicated
- Ambitious, hands on, work ethic with a desire to get things done.
- Ability to troubleshoot client problem areas and challenges on live briefs – and suggest effective remedial courses of action
- Experience of Jira is an advantage
- Other traits like resourcefulness, curiosity, open mindedness and passion are highly desirable